It’s every homeowner’s nightmare to find pests at home. Some pests like termites can cause structural damage to your home, but others like bed bugs can be annoying. For the uninitiated, bed bugs thrive on the blood of other animals and humans. These are nocturnal pests, which means that you are more likely to spot bed bugs at night. If you are wondering how to keep bed bugs away, below is a guide for help.
Home remedies for bed bugs
There are basic home remedies that can work for bed bugs, depending on the extent of infestation. Some steps to consider include –
- Washing bedding in hot water. Bed bugs die instantly when exposed to high temperatures.
- For the same reason, you can use a steamer for cleaning mattresses and coaches. Do not try to heat up the room – This could cause possible damage to your home.
- Try using some of the natural products and scents that irritate bed bugs, including peppermint oil, lavender oil, and blood orange oil.
Calling an exterminator
Sometimes DIY insecticides and home remedies may not work for bed bugs, especially if you have a case of extreme infestation. Calling an exterminator might be a smart move, both for saving money and time. Known and professional exterminators have ready tools, equipment, and manpower, for dealing with different circumstances and pests. Their teams usually have professional pest control experts and entomologists, who know what it takes to handle pests beyond what is visible on the surface.
Things worth knowing
If you are calling an exterminator, you have to check a few basic details. We recommend asking questions like –
- What are your standard protocols for handling bed bugs?
- Are you going to use heat? If yes, will that impact my home?
- Is your company licensed?
- Do you have liability insurance?
- Can you offer a free inspection?
- Are your products safe for animals and humans?
- How do you plan to minimize the impact of pest control on the environment?
- Will you offer a no-obligation quote in advance?
- Can you share a few references?
- Do you offer any assurance on the job?
Most pest control companies will have an integrated approach to bed bug control, but do ask about their means and methods. Safety is an important factor that must be discussed with an exterminator, besides the price. Make sure that the estimate is final and doesn’t have room for additional charges.